We had three over-ripe bananas begging to be made into banana bread this morning, so what’s a mama going to do? She makes banana bread!
Some of you may not know that the hubs and I are vegetarians, and in recent years have eaten a primarily vegan diet. Because of this, we don’t usually have things like eggs and butter readily available in our fridge. Over the years I’ve had fun learning to adapt recipes to suit our diet, and to be able to make things with ingredients we have on hand.
Banana bread has always been one of my favorites, and I think this egg-free and butter-free vegan banana bread recipe turned out pretty great!
Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large over-ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a standard-size bread pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons flax meal and 6 tablespoons water. Let sit in fridge for 5 minutes to thicken and create a “flax egg.”
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in the brown sugar, applesauce, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and your flax egg.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir just until the ingredients are incorporated. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a rack to cool for about five minutes.
This recipe made a moist and dense banana bread that’s not too sweet. The whole family approved!