The perfect spring birthday dessert for my Husband – strawberry rhubarb crisp! He has a great love of ALL things fruit, with crisp being no exception. Strawberries and rhubarb are the perfect combination of sweet and tart and work so well together. This is definitely one of our families favorite desserts, but it can be full of sugar and fat. So I have taken our family recipe and renovated it to make it work for us.
For those who are lucky enough to have rhubarb in your garden go for it! I was able to find rhubarb and strawberries at my local produce market.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Servings: 8 (or if you are my husband 2)
- 4c (1 lb) of strawberries
- 4c (1 lb) rhubarb stalks cut into 1″ chunks
- half of a lemon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup organic local honey: Did you know local honey can help combat seasonal allergies?
- 1 cup quick oats: I used thick rolled Bob’s
- 1/2 cup oat flour: easy just put a half a cup of oats in a processor
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, not packed
- 1/2 cup melt organic: healthier butter blend, full of good fats. So yummy made from coconut oil, palm fruit, canola, sunflower, flax and ghee
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries (quartered) and rhubarb (cut into inch chunks) in an oven safe dish. Squeeze of 1/2 a lemon. Stir in honey, then sprinkle cornstarch. In a bowl cream melt, quick oats, oat flour, and brown sugar. Bake until the fruit is bubbling about 40 min.