From the day Liam could crawl he has been obsessed with all things that have wheels: skateboards, bikes, and scooters. After we saw a friend’s little boy riding the Micro Mini Original Kick Scooter, we knew we had to get one for Liam!
The hubs is also really into all things that have wheels, so he was a great teacher, but I am so impressed with how well our little guy can ride this scooter. He’s only two years old and can ride the 3 blocks to the boardwalk by himself and maneuver around people and strollers on the boardwalk. He knows how to turn, stop, and “bail” if he’s about to fall or run into something. You can see a couple of videos of him on his scooter if you visit our Instagram profile @krawllbaby.
The Micro Mini Original Kick Scooter is a super cute scooter, available in several colors. The wheels are made of high quality polyurethane, not plastic like many other children’s bikes and scooters. Here’s the nitty gritty:
- The wheels. There are 3 wheels – two in front and one in back. This provides more stability as young children are learning, and the wheels are soft enough that they go over bumps easily and provide the smoothest possible ride. This is huge for our uneven, less than ideal city sidewalks.
- Lean-to-steer. The lean-to-steer mechanism is easier and smoother than having to turn handlebars.
- Durable. It’s made of quality materials, and is also light enough for our little guy to carry on his own.
- While we now love the lean-to-steer mechanism, it definitely has somewhat of a learning curve. At first Liam would get frustrated when he tried to ride on the sidewalk, because he would end up in the grass every time. We had to do quite a bit of practicing in a big parking lot across the street from our house before he got turning down.
- The price is higher than some of the other junior or mini scooters on the market, but I do think the quality is much better. It is designed for children ages 2-5 and up to 44 lbs.
Overall, I have very little to complain about. The Micro Mini Original Kick Scooter has been a great little scooter for our son and the confidence it is instilling in him is priceless. He keeps up with my husband on his skateboard, and loves the attention from people watching him and telling him how well he scooters on the boardwalk. Liam loves the scooter, and I honestly have nothing but good things to say about it.